This is how to make easy chicken Kabsa
Kabsa is a traditional dish from Saudi Arabia that is made with rice, meat, or chicken or lamb, and a blend of spices. The meat or chicken is cooked with the spices and then mixed with the rice, which is often cooked in a broth or stock to add additional flavor. Let's start to know how to make the national Saudi Arabia dish (Chicken Kabsa).
|National Dish of Saudi Arabia ( Kabsa).|
preparing time 15 minutes.
cooking time 35 -40 mins.
servings 4 -5 persons.
Ingredients of chicken Kabsa
- one chicken.
- rice (Two cups - long grain).
- one big onion.
- whole spices ( Lomi - cinnamon - bay leaves - cloves - cardamom).
- ground spices ( cumin - black pepper -coriander ) a half teaspoon from each one.
- A spoonful of Kabsa spices.
- two spoonful of tomato paste.
- chili green pepper.
- pine nuts and raisins (optional).
Directions of making Kabsa
- Cut your chicken into 4 or 8 pieces.
- Wash the rice and soak it in cold water for 20 minutes.
- Chop the onion into small cubes.
- Add one tbsp of butter in a non-stick pot.
- Stir the onion in the butter till it takes a nice color, then add all the spices and stir together till you smell it.
- Add the tomato paste and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces, and stir everything together for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of hot water or hot stock.
- Cover the pot and keep it on medium heat for 20 -30 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked.
- You can remove the chicken from the stock and put it in the oven to take nice color (optional) or keep it with the rice.
- Add the rice and be sure that the stock is at the level of the rice and only covers its surface.
- Put two whole chili green pepper on top or you can use any kind of long green pepper.
- Lower the heat and cover the pan for about 15 minutes.
- You can use fried pine nuts and fried raisins to decorate your dish.(Optional)
- Then you serve Kabsa in a big try, put the rice first then the chicken or meat on the top and the cooked green pepper, and finally spread the pine nuts and the raisins on the surface.
Pieces of advice
- You have to soak the raisins in water until it is swelled before frying them.
- Kabsa spices mix the same amount of these ground spices (turmeric - ginger - cardamom - cumin - black pepper - coriander - cinnamon) + only half of the teaspoon of ground gloves and ground Lomi.
- Kabsa is often served with a variety of side dishes such as yogurt, salad, and hot sauce. It is considered as a national dish in Saudi Arabia.
Why is it called Kabsa?
There is no denying that Saudi Arabian cuisine is full of spices and flavors. Kabsa is one of the most traditional dishes in Saudi Arabia which means that you pressed something, so they called it Kabsa because of the way it is prepared as it is components are pressed together and the rice is pressed on the meat till everything is cooked together in one pot.
Kabsa is one of the dishes that cooked in one pot, so it is very easy to cook it with the minimum mess in your kitchen. It is a nice dish for guests and parties. With some green salad, it will be a complete meal. It is a very popular dish in Saudi Arabia and is often served at special occasions such as weddings and religious holidays. It is also commonly found in restaurants and is often enjoyed by families at home.
Kabsa has different names in the Gulf area
Kabsa is sometimes also referred to as "machboos" or "makbus" and is a staple food in the Arabian Peninsula. It has variations in other countries such as Yemen, Oman, Bahrain and UAE, each with their own unique blend of spices and flavors.
Kabsa is usually served with a side of yogurt and a variety of hot sauces. Some people also like to add a squeeze of lime juice or a sprinkle of chopped cilantro on top for added flavor. Overall it is a flavorful and hearty dish that is enjoyed by many people in the Arabian Peninsula.